View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Have you ever tried to outrun the cops?

Warning: Long Trip Report, Uninentional Outrun Attempt

Summer after sophomore year in college, I'm driving from MIT to LA for an internship with my brother. I'm in AZ, where the speed limit was 70 or 75, and I've got the cruise control at 90 and rocking out to Quadrophenia on the straightest most boring road you've ever been on. I look up in my rearview and see a cop flashing his lights. I swear a few times and pull over.

The come comes to the side window with some hick accent and tells me that he's pulling me over cuz I was doing 90, and anything over 85 in the state of AZ in an arrestable offense where he can my car impounded. He also tells me that he'd been following me for the last 7 miles. (woops...) and that's where I start shaking. He asks if I've got drugs in the car, and I swear I don't...he tells me if I've got pot for personal use, it's cool, but I still don't have any, and he's kinda pissed and convinced I do. He notices a ziploc bag I've got full of receipts, and thinking it's drugs, pulls his gun on me and asks me to get out of the car. I start freaking, and he does all these field sobriety tests on me. I fail the one where you hold you arm out steady cuz I'm so nervous, so he asks me a series of questions about where I'm going and such.

I tell him that I'm doing an internship in California, and he looks at me funny, so I told him that I was working as a thermodynamic engineer for a satellite company. He's got no clue what this is, so I give him a ten second overview. He's totally convinced I'm bluffing, and is just like "so they're paying you to tell them that the satellite gets hot and cold in space? That's the best you can come up with for me?" And thus I spend about ten minutes explaining applied thermo to this cop in AZ.

He finally starts believing me, and then asks my bro the same questions, who's kind of just sitting htere laughing since he didn't have the gun pointed at him. He asks my brother why he's so calm, and my brother replies, "I'm not the one getting arrested." The cop finally cools down, writes me a $200 ticket for 85+ and lets me go along my merry way, but follows directly behind me for the next 40 miles while I had the cruise control firmly set at 60 in the right lane...