View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: The Vice President of Torture

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you should never listen to what someone with a different viewpoint has to say.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously this isn't the case, as I've already heard what Turner had to say (along with many other anti-war critics). I'm asking why he is someone who's opinion is more valuable than any other schmo (Something besides just "because he's a former CIA director). Way to not answer the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

His opinion on this topic is likely to be more valuable than Jane Halloway of 222 Wisteria Lane because he has more knowledge and experience than her. Just like I'd ask her about whether I'd be better off with a Dyson or a Oreck vacuum cleaner, I'll ask Stansfield about foreign policy. But that doesn't mean he's right. In fact, considering he's from Carter's administration, odds are that I would generally find him wrong, as I am not a fan of Carter's approach.

Similarly, I'd be more likely to listen to Jim Baker talk about the art of diplomacy than to listen to Dennis Kucinich.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, this is exactly what I meant when I said "something besides he's a former CIA director". And you're still dancing around an answer. The question is not whether to "listen" to him or not. I've done that already. The question now is why should I care about his opinion? Wouldn't the opinion of a more current former CIA director carry more weight because he's probably had to deal with Saddam more than Turner has.

I mean, Ann Coulter probably has more general knowledge about foreign policy than Joe Schmo (cue the Canadians in Vietnam jokes), but that doesn't mean I should look to her for a good opinion on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly the fact that he was cia director alone doesn't mean you should agree with him. probably it means you should be somewhat skeptical of what he has to say. glad you're listening to him.

just like i listen to cheney but don't necessarily agree with just because he is vp.

for the record, i don't know if i agree with him that torture is bad. i mean, what would jack bauer do if he couldn't act quickly? 24 sure would suck if he couldn't pull out his bag of tricks.