View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: How bad do I suck at SH PLO/8

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably would not have raised from the BB with that hand as you are out of position, but others would.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise in a full game with this hand OOP, but shorthanded I wanted to mix it up a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
I would never bet less than full pot bet on the flop. If they have A-hi flush they will call and not be getting pot odds (tho will have implied odds with your hand)

[/ QUOTE ]
Hee haw. Definitely a donk-bet on my part.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, what is your objective in betting? A/K hi-flush won't fold at low limits, J-hi flush or worse is unlikely to call. You don't mind weaker A2's staying in. So you are really only trying to make a set pay. But a set could well have raised you on the flop, whereas nutflush would be unlikely to. Net, I'd probably check. Once you are raised, you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
A similar thought process flashed through my mind... As my timer started beeping, I decided "value bet" as I bet the pot. In retrospect, you're right there isn't much value in a bet that a worse hand isn't going to call, but better hands will pop me for my stack. Although I don't fear a weaker A2, I'd like for them to pay for their draw up front in case the low doesn't hit. You're right about there being little value against a smaller flush or straight. The part that bugs me is that I can't decide if I was just unlucky to run into a bigger flush (FYI villain held Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) or if I played it poorly. It's probably a mixture of both more on the side of me playing poorly.

Ultimately, I need more discipline in my game. I'm good at being patient with my hand selection pre-flop, but I have a hard time laying these kind of hands down. It makes me sick because most of the time I know I'm probably beat but then I look at my hand and think, "Look at my hand! I have the 3rd nut flush and the nut-low draw with some counterfeit protection. Whatchu got, punk?!" Of course on the turn I was a 3:1 dog drawing dead on the high side with all of my equity coming from the low.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, for some reason i just assumed 6-handed here. If you're 3 handed then i probably would raise. and my advice on later streets stands but it is a much closer decision to fold to the raise --- against some i definitely call. And you must add a big caveat that shorthanded is so much about your opponents and less about cards so its more difficult to offer good advice as fewer players are left.