View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Hey, Democrats! Want to win an election? Try this :

Well...reelected, yes, but not elected, period. Again, I was refuting the OP's implication. I agree with you that the Democrats appeal to the more marginal parts of their demographic, but I believe the Republicans do this, as well(you don't honestly believe the entire Republican party is composed of evangelical Christians, right?)

As to hating being called liberals, I'd say that some Democrats hate it, not all. For instance, I would be fairly confident that Joe Lieberman would not like being called a liberal, because it is a fairly inaccurate label to describe him, a rigid, orthodox Jew(not an insult...that's what he is). But...labeling all things non-Republican as liberal does a disservice not only to the Democrats(as well as other party members), but also to the liberal members of the Republican Party(and yes, they exist...for instance, all the log cabin Republicans). Some posters on this forum have a tendency to rush to using that word to describe anything they find unappealing, and I believe that it is foolhardy and ignorant to do so. Label things what they are, I say, and not what fits into an extremely broad definition.

Sorry for the thread hijack.