View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: looking for a bigger edge

[ QUOTE ]

Though you're probably right because many cards on turn even if they decrease a value - decrease it a little and maybe it worth to call here and raise turn just because you can collect a bit more chips from guys when you're ahead. Though im still prefer them to fold ther low pocket pairs, inside straights draw and trashy flopped pairs as fast as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest problem with that, though, is that you can't make them fold. You don't have the position for it. Raising the flop gives them slightly better odds than they were accepting when they called/bet on the flop, so unless the SB 3-bets, there is little, if any, ability to cause them to fold a gutshot or any hands you should want them to fold.

If there were players acting behind you, I think that argument would have a lot more merit. But there's no protection to be had here, unless SB 3-bets (and with your holding, I'm not sure that seeing a 3-bet on this board is a wonderful thing).

If you want to give me a fair range for blind defense (and I've seen quite a bit of terrible blind defense at the 5/10 and 10/20, though I don't play up there so I don't feel nearly as comfortable commenting on it as you), I'd be happy to enter it in, both in the SB's case and BB's case. I find SB's case very odd, as it's rare that I see a SB flat-call unless he's not a very good player, especially in a 1/2 structure).

And in a pot this small, I don't know why you want people to fold low pocket pairs. I want 22, 33, and 44 calling here.

Regardless, with most hand ranges you can put in here (and I think you need to be quite generous with SB's hand range, given his preflop play) and BB's flop call (and not a raise), your hand's equity will generally be going slightly upward on the turn for the majority of turn cards, not downward.

I think the only real big risk in this case is that waiting to raise may not work if SB decides his holding is no longer worth betting into two people.

Rob