View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Washington State bans smoking... with a twist

from the seattle times:

[ QUOTE ]
Initiative 901, which expands the state's Clean Indoor Air Act, was approved with comfortable margins in all 39 counties.

"I think this is a clear sign that Washington voters are demanding the right to breathe clean air," said Peter McCollum, Yes on I-901 campaign spokesman.

The measure bans smoking in buildings and vehicles open to the public and in places of employment, including within 25 feet of doorways, windows and ventilation openings. Violators can be fined $100 for each infraction.

I-901 had enormous support from the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and more than 400 people, all contributing more than $1.3 million total. There was only token opposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear some people's opinions before i get deep into my position/thoughts on this, but here's a starter:

25 feet?!?

In my neighborhood, that means i can smoke A: in my apartment (that is, i could if my lease let me), and B: in the middle of the intersections ('cept for the cars, natch)... WTF?!