View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Default \"Getting your $$ in w/ best of it\"

I've been playing almost a year, and I find myself feeling a little ambivalent about the wisdom of the mantra which says there's something implicitly good about "Getting all your money in with the best of it," especially when someone's facing a race situation.

The tv commentators spew it as if it is supposed to be consolation for players when they are drawn out on, or justification for players who have managed their chips in a tournament well, but then put a lot of chips at risk on a good read and a vulnerable hand.

I'm wondering whether players with more experience can refine the logic of this expression for me (as it relates to tournament play). It seems to me that getting all your money in in a race situation, unless you're short-stacked, whichever side of the race you're on, is not good stack management. I'd rather have a better advantage.

As a new player, I trusted this mantra in decisions where I believed myself a slight favorite, now I am more inclined to wait until I have way the best of it before getting all my money in.

Commentary please. Thanks.