Thread: question for Al
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 09:46 PM

Default Re: question for Al

>>> As Sklansky and others have repeatedly argued, all that the runs of dice or cards can tell you is what has already happened. They have no memory and no predictive value. <<<

Sands, Las Vegas, early 1970's. Doctors' convention in town. I play the backline with a progression of 1-2-3-4-etc to infinity while winning. Dice are continuously cold and I am doing extremely well, but the frustrated doctors leave the table empty, leaving me by myself. I wait for the next group to descend upon the empty table as if they were finding the Holy Grail. "Oh look!! An empty dice table!" Happened about three times in a row.

>>> Craps players are extremely oriented toward hot and cold dice. Yet there are studies that point out that the chances of a pass are exactly the same after five passes as they are after someone has sevened out. I don't mean the theoretical chances. I mean the actual observed occurrences. <<<

1952, Monte Carlo Club, LV, dime dice table. I play the "Don't Come" so that I make "my own luck" and do not either buck or follow the rhythms of the Pass Line. My gaming budget is $20 a month, and my grubstake is not exhausted by the end of any month. I play approximately three hours every night. I see long streaks by the Pass Line players. I believe in the power of the mass mind to affect the dice favorably. However, if the stakes are too high, the players begin to be distracted by the amount of money at risk, and the mass-mind power begins to fail. I wrote a letter to the Editor of Life magazine as it was in the 'Fifties, in answer to an article on the power of the mind over dice. I said that it worked as long as (1) the bets did not involve too much money so as to worry about the risk; (2) the bets were not too little as to make playing the system boring. Sometimes I try to make my mind affect the seventh-street card at Stud, but it doesn't work. (smile) What I have discovered at Stud, is that if I let out a joyous hoop when an ace falls on my board cards, everybody in the pot will fold. heh heh [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jack