View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

[ QUOTE ]
you find out he paid 35k, while you paid 29k for the same exact product. are you not going to assume hes a sucker, just because he makes more money than you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if Mr. Jones lives in New York and I live in San Diego.

[ QUOTE ]
there is no premium for runs 25-30. they are worth the same as runs as 20-25.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a topic for another thread. Suffice it to say, if there were a salary cap, there would be even more of a superstar premium.

[ QUOTE ]
this moronic argment that damon is worth more money because the yankees are in the 'win now' more. LMFAO! they have a payroll that will lekely never go under 200m again, every single season is a win now for them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exatamundo!

[ QUOTE ]
i have shown with MATH that the deal is bad for even 2006 and yet people will say its an ok deal. amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately for the math wizzes, the best team isn't who gets the most wins per dollar spent. It's who gets the most wins.

Any time a team gets close, they should go for it. If that means taking the risk of being stuck with Johnny Damon at the whopping age of 35, then so be it. And when I say any time a team is close, I mean the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Phillies, the Giants, the A's, the Blue Jays (ala '92-'93), the Braves. Any time you get close* as a team.....GO FOR IT!!!!

* By close, genrally I mean if you are already a playoff caliber team you should try and push yourself over the championchip hump. The exeption to the rule could be a team like the Milwaukee Brewers in 2006. This will be thier best chance to make the playoffs for ten years, so they should GO FOR IT!!!!