View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 01:21 AM

Default Tournament Play v. Ring Games, what is the draw to either game?

I saw a great post by Paul Philips in the WPT section talking about Tournament play Here. I think the main draw to big tournaments are More Fame than fortune. I think people who play these tournaments are in it more for name recognition than the Money. The money is the bonus part of the tournament. I dream of playing in one of these and winning. But how realistic is it?

I like the idea of winning a trip to get a vacation out of it, but just to go play, i dont know if I would try. Kind of like the UB Aruba trip, I stopped trying after the 10k trips were stopped.

I guess it goes back to MM or DS quoting that it more profitable in the long run for a good poker player to play the Ring games more than Tournaments. There are better odds a player from the Internet will win the WSOP again in 2005 than an established pro.

What is everyones view on this matter. Are you seeking the FAME or the Fortune? And if you played only Tournaments, do you think you can make enough money out of them? Or should you do what most people do, stick to cash games?

Big O