View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: That one dang genius who believes?

[ QUOTE ]
"Assuming Newton was alive today, and was more Christian than ever, and had passed various psychiatric examinations and was sitting accross the table from you, trying to convince you to become a Christian, wouldn't you have only two choices?

A) Accept his genius logic, and adopt his axioms.
B) Reject his genius logic, and maintain your axioms.

Cheers,
SDM"

First let me correct you about something. You mean to say accept his conclusions.

Anyway if he did do that I would ask for a six month leave of abscence to study up on specifics of both his religion and science. Then I would have a debate with him. Which means that there is a third, very possible alternative. Namely that he would change HIS mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, this last line is rather proud.

Remember, in our scenario if Newton is alive, he HAS been up to date with modern science etc yet still remains a Christian. (more Christian than ever now the Book of Revelation has a probable application)

Yet you alter your position from taking a genius as your guide to saying you may have a chance to convince the genius of his folly.

Remember Newton and Leibniz independantly discovered Calculus, that's a pretty big thing!

Therefore the only choices you seem to have are:

A) Accept his genius conclusions, and adopt his beliefs.
B) Reject his genius conclusions, and maintain your beliefs. (ie- "cling" to another genius than was an athiest)

Cheers,
SDM