View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: n00b processor question. Yes, I\'m a huge n00b.

1) Yes.

2) Yes, I have the exact same chip @ 2.4Ghz.

3) Mobo really depends on your expectations. If you're going to be a gamer, you should probably invest in the DFI board for nForce4 SLI and 2 vid card support.

Otherwise you're best off with an nForce4 Ultra chipset board. Just seach for nForce4 Ultra chipset under AMD motherboards on Newegg.com.

The Chaintech mobo is on the lower end and is what I have. The only problem it has is that its onboard Gigabit ethernet is kinda funky (it works in 1/2 the motherboards) so I've thrown in a regular ethernet card. Otherwise it's completely fine and great for the price.

On the other hand you might want to look into the socket 754 AMD 64's. If you're the type of person that upgrades your PC regularly then a socket 939 CPU may be good for you, but if you're the type of upgrader that buys a new mobo everytime you buy a new CPU the socket 754 may be more cost effective in the long run.

I thought I had the threads as favorites on Anandtech but apparently don't and I'm too lazy to find them myself.

Basically the socket 754 AMD 64's, while run a bit hotter than the socket 939's, can overclock just as fast as their counterparts and are just as stable. The performance difference between the two chipsets is negligible (~5-10%) in most cases.