Thread: War Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 11:52 PM

Default How soon we forget

In Afghanistan we went in with a bombing campaign and a small number of special forces. For sometime the media and the world were amazed at how well the Taliban stood up to this constant bombardment. The Taliban were executing opposition leaders sent in by the CIA. The media was remarking at how poorly the war was planned and how badly it was going. It was looking as if the Afghans would have us tied up as long as they did the Soviet Union.

Then Mazir El Sharif fell. A few days after that it was complete victory of over the Taliban. We all forgot how we were once all in doubt.

Now back to Iraq. People are remarking how badly this campaign is going. Yes there have been some setbacks, but were only 11 days into this and we effectively have the Iraqi forces pinned downed. We have fewer than 100 dead or missing(including the British). When I watch and read news reports I think the campaign is one big cluster f***. When I analyze it with my own mind, I realize that it is indeed a well thought out and flexible plan. Things may not have gone according to best case senarios, but so far the only opposition our military seems inept at countering, is the impatience of the world.

Stu