View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: winner at 20/40, loser at 30/60?

I don't have much experience in the 20/40 game, but I used to play the 15/30 before the 30/60 opened up, so I can tell you what I think are the main differences between the 30/60 and the old 15/30 (which may be somewhat similar to the new 20/40).

First, most people have already mentioned that 30/60 is very aggressive. You need to push back frequently to make sure you don't get run over, but you also need to know when just having your opponent bet into you is the preferred play to pushing him out.

Second, the players are better. 2-3 LAGs at a table frequently constitutes a good game at this limit. In the old 15/30, there used to be more like 4-5 LAGs at a table. And even many of the LAGs are much better postflop players than their VP$IP/PFR stats might suggest.

Third, hands are frequently contested heads-up or 3-handed. This means your postflop short-handed game needs to be extremely strong. After some practice, you'll start seeing certain patterns and recognizing certain common moves -- some preferred by TAGs, others preferred by LAGs, some designed to extract more money out of you when you're behind and your opponent thinks you have a piece of the board, others designed to try to push you off a hand.

I would say that these are the main differences.

As for your 300 BB downswing over 25K hands, that doesn't sound good. My guess is that it's a combination of poor cards and poor play, and the solution (at least for now) is probably to move down.