View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: 80/160 hand against J.A. Sucker

In general, I like the smoothcall preflop in this spot with a view to checkraising any flop other than those that you hit.

But I would change my flop plans here when it comes down 522.

When you checkraise that flop, Sucker should know you are prolly full of it. If you had a pp, you would 3 bet preflop. You prolly don't have a 5 or 2 particularly since you are stepping up to the 80 game from your usual 40 game. Your checkraise on the flop should look like Ax or a flush draw to sucker and he will play it accordingly.

Besides, when the flop comes JT3 and you checkraise, Sucker might fold a hand like 88 either then or on the turn. He ain't folding 88 (and probably not folding any two cards) when the flop is 522.

So, I would just call preflop and just checkcall the flop.

BTW, my new book "Checkcall your way to Millions" is just about ready for the printers. Pre-orders accepted...heh

Having played it the way you did, the river checkraise is the much better play for resaons given by Jmaes, Mike l, Barron et al. But for PR reasons, I never made that play when playing live (keep in mind that I used to play in a realtively small cardroom where everyone knows everyone). Online, I would have no qualms with pulling the river checkraise trigger.