Thread: The Crusades
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: The Crusades

[ QUOTE ]
The difference I see in references/comparisons of violence described in the Koran and the Bible, is that today's Christian does not practice acts of violence in the name of his/her faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Old Testament laws do not properly apply to Christians anyway; only the teachings and instructions given by Jesus count now. True Christians should not practice violence against humans in the name of the faith. The instructions of Jesus are also quite clear about not resisting evil, and about turning the other cheek. Many "Christians" however do not understand this, and that goes for some clergy as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Occasional rants/outbursts from the occasional TV-evangelist aside, the message of the Bible is love, peace, acceptance, understanding of everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who espouse violence in the name of Christianity do so out of ignorance, and have effectively ignored or turned the teachings of Jesus Christ upside down. That goes for the Pope who started the Crusades, too! Just because I think the First Crusade was a good idea, does NOT mean I think it was in keeping with true Christian belief.

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt we'll ever hear of fundamentalist Imams calling for ecumenical gatherings. I've yet to hear of a call for world-wide unity and agreement among the Imams to decide what the Koran teaches. I do hear of Imams deciding to form their personal armies and encouraging their followers to kill and maim. I doubt even Falwell or Robertson will go that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

You doubt well.