View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Sklansky: you want aggressive players to bluff more...

Will someone please help me out here, I feel like a complete idiot...

I read the thread Mike listed, I have read the sections on bluffing in books like Sklansky's TOP, and I understand you want someone to bet more than the optimum frequency because it is +EV when you call with good or marginal hands, but I am honestly getting slaughtered heads up by over aggressive opponents betting the flop EVERY SINGLE TIME I check to them.

I understand you need to call with any pair, A high, even K high sometimes, two over cards, and any decent draw.

However, what about when I keep running into hand after hand of crap? Undercards with no chance of calling, no pairs, no draws, nothing. Sometimes this will go on for 10-15 times in a row, then a single glimmer of a hand, then back to the same routine. If I try to call bluffs down with crap I am going broke. Just for the "fun of it" I even tried it a few times and got blistered.

Is the answer as simple as: "If you have crap you were going to lose anyway, so quit crying about bad streaks. The purpose of the theory is when you call down with something."

Pathetic, I know, but I am running into it bad...

As a side note, I have no trouble playing HU in the evening when the games are softer, I do quite well. But my intention is obviously to move up, so I keep banging my head against the wall with these super LAGs knowing I have to develop some type of strategy.