Thread: pocket pairs HU
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: pocket pairs HU

[ QUOTE ]
Villain unknown.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB raises.

Hero's plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation is one that I often find trouble with, so i'd like to go through my thoughts and see how offbase I might be.

You have 3 options:

1. 3-bet
2. call
3. fold

starting with #1...often it seems that villain either calls,then check calls down with a weak hand that is still ahead of yours and you lose bets...or he calls and check-raises you on the turn, making you pay a few more bets when often behind. Hence I don't like this...

#2. With a call here and a rag on the turn I'd feel like checking makes the most sense as a donkbet doesn't do you much good in my experience. This also gives you a chances to see if any of your backdoor outs are going to come in. Also, for metagame reasons, i really don't like folding to a raise on the flop. If the turn gives you more outs for the river, then check call again? If the turn bricks do you give up here? I think this depends on the opponent but times when I check call down I'm not often ahead.

#3. I don't like folding here. I think there're too many reasons to at least call and see the turn, and folding o flop raises makes you look weak and almost invites the villain to play back at your flop bets harder.

So, I often would call this, and try to evaluate my chances given the turn. This feels somewhat passive and weak, but I don't think you can be much stronger in these cases and being too weak is definitely not good as well...

Thoughts? I'm really curious as to others lines in situations like this...