Thread: XMSR (XM radio)
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 02:06 PM

Default Re: XMSR (XM radio)

Gee guys, I feel like a sucker now. I signed up for it. Come on, how hard is it for the average person to spend $120 on radio? If you like formula radio with the same 12 songs for each station, you wouldn't pay for it. However the variety is incredible and it fits every mood you might have. Further there are a lot of niches that get little or no airtime and paying less than one CD for it is certainly worth it. I haven't been a buyer of CDs since the record companies pissed me off with their treatment of Napster so I have plenty of formerly spent money to use on this. However I would say everyone I know buys at least 10 CDs a year and if they cut that down in half they would save almost enough to pay for this service. Besides I take a lot of roadtrips and its an absolute godsend for those! Driving through Utah on the way to SLC for the Olympics we tried regular radio just for a kick to see what crap we would have to listen to. Three religious stations (it was Utah on a Sunday), two country, one classic rock, one sleepy time soft rock, and one jazz station...not a whole lot to listen to. If you live in LA, SF, NY, etc...I could see it being a lot less worthy, but those are places with a lot of people that spend a ton of time in their cars and have lots of disposable income, not to mention very eclectic tastes so I think it sells itself just about anywhere.

My final point is, does anyone really like rush hour radio where they play about 2 songs an hour and repeat the traffic every 5 minutes on every station on, of course in between 5 minutes of commercials every 20 minutes???