View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 09:38 AM

Default You are a sucker anyway.

Really, your only concern is cuts and broken bones, which can actually heal. Just don't go rock climbing, and all the other stupid stuff students do.

Most of the other stuff, cancers and what not, medicine can't really cure anyway. That's one of the things young people don't get, is that just because you spend $150,000 on medical bills, doesn't mean you will be any better off. Healthcare ain't magic.

I haven't had "health insurance" in ten years. All the broken this and torn that and busted that, nose, eyes, and so on, I ran up about a zillion dollars on other people's bills (when I was in the health-insurance collective), and never once was one iota better off for it. (I remember once I waited all night in pain to go to the best doctor in NYC, and then ended up having to set the bone myself, after he charged me several hundred dollars!) So I quit, and haven't been to a doctor since.

So, anyway, the last thing I'm going to do now is subsidize some other idiot who runs off and spends $125 dollars every time he gets a runny nose. Or old people, or women or are prone to plumbing complications, I ain't with it.

A great deal of curable injuries - workplace, traffic - are covered by existing insurance anyway. If I get cancer, I'll just lie down. I fully expect to!

And if I break more bones than I can cover, or than my family and friends can cover, joke's on you. There comes a point where, if you don't want to pay for my healthcare, it's your responsibility not to support a bunch of whiney liberal politicians and trial lawyers who make it cost five times more than it ever needed to.

Do you know where managed care originally came from? It was originally spawned by some government price-fixing scheme on wages, that inserted the first insulation between people, and the cost of their healthcare.

eLROY