View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Book on valuation framework

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

I am looking for a book that describes some kind of framework for valuation of stocks and bonds with regards to both quantative and qualitative values. The only thing i found so far is the original "security analysis" which sounds ok but there have to exist some later works.

I am not looking for a book on how to read financial statements, portfolio theory or calculating NPV. I am more looking on something on how i can integrate all indicators and get a estimated $ value of a stock or bond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand your post, but, I'll try. Security Analysis by Ben Graham is all about valuing companies based on balance sheets and earnings. It also covers things like safe debt coverage levels that affect the risk level of your investment.

It's a very dry book and the later editions might be a little more readable (I'm on the road, can't tell you which version I have).

Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham is basically a more approachable version of SA.

Effectively the Ben Graham approach is that a companies value is the NPV of all future income it's owners can recieve from it. The trick is how to gauge what the likely future income will be, what current net assets are really worth, and whether the management is going to return those profits and excess assets to shareholders some day.

These books delve into the various areas of the financial statements to help you determine what is real, what is overstated, and what might be understated.