View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

Having read other responses, here is something that I keep in mind in this situation.

If the villian in this hand checks on the turn, then I'm done. He will likely check with a made hand after we called on the turn to feign some weakness. This is a normal move from a semi-solid player.

So therefore, if he checks after we smoothcall on the flop then we need to be able to let it go. But....

I see these blocking bets all the time. I absolutely love playing the scare card. He bets $8 into a $12.50 pot. He doesn't have the flush. If he has the ace, he calls our raise but we can still take the pot on the river when the 4th flush card doesn't hit.

To everyone saying "You have put 30 dollars in with middle pair 9 kicker", you are missing the point. You are successfully representing a hand and carrying it out appropriately. Bad players will call that raise with all sorts of holdings, but against players you read as solid, this kind of play can be profitable.

In this case, he smooth called on the flop, and he essentially has 16 'outs' on the turn. If a 7, 9 or a spade comes on the turn, he can take control of the hand.

Again, I think we need to stress the types of players which we can pull this off against, but if used within reason this is +EV.

Brad