View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Squeeze play situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The second limper had been playing pretty loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your reason for folding instead of pushing. You make moves like this against tight players that aren't calling you down as most of your equity comes from them folding. When you think you will be called more frequently you make this move less often. A9 isn't the best hand for this play as anyone with a bigger ace has you dominated and you're only slightly ahead of hands like KT-KQ, QT-QJ, JT. I prefer making this move with hands that aren't easily dominated like this one. Sklansky group 1/2 hands and small suited connectors (that take it all down when rags or a strong draw flop) are better than a medium strength hand like A9 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 2nd limper is playing loose, he probably isn't limping with a hand that dominates you. If you get called by KTo, you are a 3-2 favorite, and on average you win 600 chips, versus 525 for taking the blinds.

A9s is easily dominated by strong hands, but 2 players limped, implying they don't have strong hands. You could make this play with a suited connector, where you are a 3-2 dog against AKo, rather than a 7-3 dog. However, against KQo, you are a 3-2 favorite with A9s, but a 3-2 dog with a suited conncector.

I don't think you need a Sklanky level 1-2 hand to push. I would push with most 1-5 level hands. Pocket pairs and suited connectors are good to push too.

[/ QUOTE ]

True statements and I stand corrected. Pocket pairs are good in this spot as well. I'm not sure I'd include everything in Groups 3-5 though, especially the suited gapped holdings, Ax-ATo and Axs-A9s but there are some hands in those groups that are good for a squeeze.