View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: lines bad players take that good players misinterpret

[ QUOTE ]
Sitting to the left of a compulsive donker forces you to fold many marginal hands you'd prefer to keep. Other times it causes you to be trapped for extra bets. When putting money into the pot it is best to be first (betting) or last (closing). The second guy investing money is in the worst possible spot and must play the tightest to compensate.

[/ QUOTE ]
So it sounds like you'd rather sit to the donker's right than his left. One obvious benefit of this is you have the relative button postflop reasonably often, or are at least one of the last to act. However, I was thinking in terms of protecting my hand.

For example: 4 to the flop, I openraised in the HJ with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB checks, donk BB donkbets, Hero raises. 4-way TPGK needs protection.

Another: Again 4 to the flop, I open 3-off the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], SB checks, donk BB donkbets, Hero raises. 4-way this hand needs to charge weak or strong draws and also is vulnerable.

Also, I was thinking about situations where I have a marginal holding but am probably ahead of the donker. I can raise him and represent a hand stronger than what I actually hold to get the pot HU to the turn where I'm probably ahead.

Example: 3 to an unraised flop, Hero holds J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB, flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], donk SB donkbets, Hero raises.

I guess there are merits to seats on either side of him. Another benefit to sitting on his right is the opportunity to trap others in between for bets after they call his flop donk. I never thought specifically about having to act immediately after the first bet on a street as being a disadvantage though. Good point.