View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Herr Little Freddie Nietzche

[ QUOTE ]

I like how you call him little Freddie. Any special reason for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something about him that evokes my strongest feelings of contempt. I think much of it is his prose style which truly sets my teeth on edge. I have a similar reaction to Sartre, but not to Dostoyevsky. And not to most other philosophers except maybe Berkely, but I haven't read a lot of him.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious to know what you think his philosophy was, since at first glance you appear to have completely misunderstood what he wrote about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert on Nietzsche, though I do try to read him occasionally. I classify him in general as an existentialist and an atheist. If that's all I knew about him that would be enough to make the comments I've made. He may claim that he isn't a nihilist but given the premise that God doesn't exist nihilism is the only logical conclusion, assuming a working definition that "nothing matters". If I've misunderstood his position on the existence of God then I retract, otherwise what I've said is true for atheism. I believe all non-theistic world views are fundamentally irrational. It's obvious they would have to be if theism is true. And the logical conclusion of irrationality is nihilsim.

What is it you think I got wrong about him? I'm always ready to correct my errors, which are plentiful.