View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Herr Little Freddie Nietzche

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you are a reader of Altizer or Van Buren (who were both trendy for a time)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

My position is that Freddie's philosophy produces what I was talking about in this thread - if God doesn't exist we are beyond good and evil and should therefore abandon teleology and morals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you call him little Freddie. Any special reason for that?

Anyway, you are correct about his views on teleology and morals, with morality being equated with religious doctrine, though that is only the beginning of his philosophy, certainly not the end.

It is a huge mistake to assume that he was a nihilist. In fact, that is a complete misunderstanding since he saw one of his main goals -- if not his entire goal -- as the overcoming of nihilism. Basically all of his late works are attempts at an overcoming of the nihilistic view you are attributing to him.

He saw the same consequences you repeat here -- no god equals no absolute morality -- though he had the belief that mankind could create their own values, and that in fact that is what we had been doing all along. In that regard, his views on humanity in the absence of God are much more noble minded than simply assuming we would reduce ourselves to mindless nihilism and end up in chaos, as you seem to do in nearly every thread.

I'm curious to know what you think his philosophy was, since at first glance you appear to have completely misunderstood what he wrote about.