View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: against river check raise

[ QUOTE ]
1. Villain may be taking a shot in a heads-up pot. It is much more likely to be a play in this scenario than if it had started, say, 4 handed and only was heads-up at the river

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good reason to call if you believe your opponent is reasonably likely to be capable of this

[ QUOTE ]
2. Villain might be getting tricky with a legit hand you're beating. Taking this line with a hand like KQ would be noteworthy but not necessarily impossible or even bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

this line with KQ would be odd and would require some combination of A: genius and/or B: inexperience/ignorance. i am fully confident that an opponent capable of this would not strike observers as "average." i discard this as reason to call a check raise.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Folding here totally sucks for metagame reasons. In a heads-up pot, sometimes you needed to grin and bear it and pay off a little more than you might in multiway pots. Otherwise, not only will this opponent but every opponent at the table (who is watching) will begin to think that they can take shots at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear this all the time and i think it's probably the most overrated reason to do anything in a limit ring game. what is so bad about people taking shots at you? hopefully you are aware enough of your image where people taking shots at you is +EV. a ring game is not a tournament.