View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: My neighbor threatens to sue me

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand what he would be suing you for. Perhaps I just don't understand property "stuff" well enough. But, how can you have any obligation to sign anything for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been talking with attorneys and real estate people all day today. It is mass confusion--have you ever read a property description? Holy [censored]! I have no obligation to sign anything. If I refuse to sign the agreement, he is screwed and would have to find another access for his new parcel or sue me for denying him access to his property. I am currently benefitting from the easement that he needs to get in on, so I have to agree to let him in on the deal--it's not enough for the owners of the property to give him access now. His lawsuit will go down in flames because he has another access available, but it will make his other lot much less desirable. So we are making him strike a section from the agreement that attempts to interpet the utilities easement accross my portion of the road to mean that he has ingress/egress rights (the recording number that is referenced is very vague). We want him to have to enter a maintenace agreement on that portion of the street because we don't use it (and have told him so). We have it fenced out, but it adds square footage to our parcel and we are right on the edge of being able to subdivide our lot, so it's not totally useless. We are also calling for the clarification of language regarding repair and maintenance of the condo owned portion of the street. The document read as though the condos were a single entity that only got one vote, but they have 15 or 16 untits. So I told him we wouldn't sign unless it was clear that our financial responsibilty was going to be 1/20, not 1/6. I spoke with his attorney today and he agreed to agree to remove the offending paragraph and re-word the other language. If it gets done, we'll sign.