View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: AQs vs a Wild raiser / maniac

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a maniac preflop raiser. He did 4 bet a few turn ago with KQ off UTG. He has been showing a lot of strength with K or Q high etc. He is 38/17/3

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you raising the turn to try to induce a 3bet and fold MP? After a line like that, I would just look him up. Call the turn and river. Since he's probably 3-betting the turn with a lot of hands you beat, you can't raise-fold, and I think when you do get three-bet, you're going to be in trouble more often than not.

I think now that you've gotten it heads up, the best play is just calling down.

Here's a hand of mine that I misplayed in the same fashion. This was against a guy who would go buck wild on the later streets, trying to outplay his opponents. I tried raising the turn for a free showdown with what I thought was probably the best hand. I realized later that the best play was probably to call him down, and raise if I paired up.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh Ah (one pair, twos).
SB has 8d Ad (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>