View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Finding a good renter

[ QUOTE ]
I own/manage 300+ units. I have a scoring criteria from which I NEVER deviate. Of course being a large property management company I have Fair Housing guidelines to adhere to as well.

I use 3 main criteria and then break down scoring by importance.

1. Employment - 40% of total score in this area.
a. length of employment
b. salary - if the applicants rent:eranings ratio is less than 30% they are automatically disqualified
c. length of previous employment.

2. Credit - 40% of score
a. Points awarded based on average credit score. Obvciously the closer to 1 the higher the score.
b. Bankruptcies or lack thereof worth small amount of points. Having a bankruptcy does not count against score.
ANY ACCOUNTS PLACED FOR COLLECTION IS AUTOMATICALLY A DISQUALIFICATION

3. Past Rental history
Basically a series of questions regarding applicant's tenancy to be answered by previous landlord. Late payments, lease violations, condition of apartment.
IF THERE HAS BEEN AN EVICTION AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION

Seems to me these folks meet criteria for at least 2 automatic disqualifications using my screening process. This is a no brainer. NO.....NO........NO

A bit of advice. While you may have been on the market awhile do not rush to put just anyone in there. If they do not meet your criteria for what you are looking for in a tenant then no matter what "extenuating" circumstances they think they have they are not qualified and will be more trouble in the long run. I'm not sure of eviction laws in AZ but I know this: If you let them in w/o being qualified you may end up with a deposit and teh first months rent. At end of second month they haven't paid, don't have the ability to pay and you are now forced to seek possession of the unit through legal means. This of course will involve retaining counsel, court time and allowing them to continue living there rent free basically until the eviction is successful. Granted, you may get a judgement for rents owed but you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Pass on this and wait for a qualified tenant.

Another piece of advice. I have in my lease a close which basically states that in teh event of forfeiture on the part of the tenant they are responsible for all legal fees and court costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the lamest set of requirements I have ever seen. Can't you just take your lame requirements and plug them into a computer?

Afterall, you are making mindless decisions already right?

Let's say I have a 1.5 year long dispute going on with DirecTV. They, by matter of procedure, have placed the account 'in collections' while being disputed. In your world, I am disqualified from renting?

Lame.