View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Calling a flop bet with a small pocket pair

[ QUOTE ]
I am a successful $20-$40 player but the one situation that I am curious about is calling a flop bet with a small pocket pair. I am not speaking of calling with a dangerous flop such as a straight or flush on board...or if one of my outs will put such a dangerous hand on board. Lets say I am on the button and the pot is raised and I get 5 callers. I also expect one of the blinds to come also. If I dont fear a re raise I will call with say a pair of fours...obviously trying to hit my set. I am getting 6 to 1 odds on a 7.5 to 1 proposition...but the implied payoff allows me to make that call. If I hit my set it is probably good nite for the rest of the field. So that being said...lets assume the flop comes A-8-5.....all mixed suits. Lets also assume there is a bet and three callers before me....my question is now can I call? I know I am a 22.5 to 1 dog to catch a 4 ON THE TURN ONLY. Also I am not speaking about times when I feel there is a bluff or that my hand is good. I mean PURELY MATHEMATICALLY SPEAKING.......must I fold a small pair everytime there is a bet on the flop and I didnt hit my set? Must I fold it....or am I leaving too much on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it difficult to believe that a "successful" 20-40 player wrote this post.