Thread: Vegetarians?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Vegetarians?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having been a vegetarian for over 17 years, your reasons for becoming one will not sustain you; you will fail, so don't bother.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a vegetarian for 3 years, and I'm quite certain it's a choice I've made for life. What makes you think Steve will fail?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience:

1) People who decide to wait until the New Year to resolve, almost certainly fail.

2) The dozen or so Western people I know who have tried to establish an Eastern philosophy, failed when it came to the diet.

3) There’s a huge difference between say, a macrobiotic diet and a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. To not know which one’s right for you suggests a serious lack of thought on the subject.

4) It was never established exactly why he wants to become a vegetarian. Ethical? Health? Spiritual was alluded to, but it’s not clear if that’s the reason or for some other novel idea.

5) Too much at once- quit smoking, quit drinking and now wants to give up meat? Good luck.

6) I have never met anyone who has been a vegetarian for longer than 8 years- most people break somewhere between 4 & 5 years.

Reason three is no big deal; everyone starts at the same place, but he needs to do some serious thinking because it’s a lifestyle change and like most, requires a severe amount of dedication (at least in the beginning).

Really, I’m not trying to be negative- just being a realist. Most people have a hard enough time with their regular eating habits, let alone sticking with this kind of diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 I picked New Year's not as a resolution but simply because that will give me a full month to try out different recipes and slowly incorperate that into my diet.

#2 Thank you for this, it reassures me that I will have to put in major effort to make this a success

#3 Again this is one of the reasons that I am a taking a full month to study and research this so I do not end up hurting myself, that is one reason I stated that I am diabetic in the Original Post.

#4 Spiritual and Health, with out going in to alot of philosophy, it is a belief that in order for the mind to be healthy(focused) the body must be healthy.

#5 Quiting drinking was easy as I was never a big drinker, Quiting smoking was much harder it took me a few attempts at cold turkey to realize that I needed help. I got NicodermCQ clear and did that for 2 weeks. I did not even post on here about it just in case it was going to be another failed attempt. When I went back to the Drug Store to get another 2 weeks I stopped myself and said "I am not going to spend another $50 just to prove that I can do this" so I left the store and still have not smoked. If I can do both of those then what is going to be so hard about this?

#6 My E-mail is Talk2BigSteve@gmail.com send me an e-mail for New Year's 2014 and see how I am doing. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for being real!

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose to become a vegan about four years ago on January 1st. I made it about eight days. I wasn't prepared at all, but I have been a vegetarian since then. As the guy in the bookstore (an apparent vegetarian) said when I desperately bought "Vegetarianism for Dummies", stock up on the peanut butter!