View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: For fellow non-christians: thoughts on christmas/winter solstice?

My dad is a non-churchgoing christian and my mom is an ex-nun turned atheist. I wasn't raised to believe in anything, but I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember. My family always celebrated Christmas but there was never any mention of religion. I guess we just thought it was a good excuse to have a tree in the house, exchange presents, and see family. I've thought a lot about abandoning Christmas lately as it has become increasingly -EV for me in recent years. But as far as what to do about kids, hell yes I'm going to let them have Christmas. I hate Christians with a passion, but Christmas is one thing they got right. I'm more than happy to hijack their holiday for my own selfish purposes, and you should be too. It's an excuse to get together, something to look forward to, something to make you refrain from killing yourself because of the sheer monotony of everyday life. Plus that's when most jobs and schools will give people time off. So why not have a holiday? And what the hell, christmas is as good as anything.