View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: First Trip to Trump Indy

Wegs ... I just returned from Chicago where I went to Trump to play. I had the intention of playing both 3/6 and NL$200, but only played 3/6.

Here's what I can tell you about the NL$200: Preflop raises to $25 are common, which means you'll be spending at least 1/8th of your max buy in on a flop. This is a tough thing to do with KQs or 88 or any other attractive hand that can turn into trouble after a flop. The blinds are $2/$5, which I think is AWFUL for a NL$200 game. They also charge you $6 for every half hour you play, which forces the issue even more. Of course, this would all be better if the blinds were more accomodating (say $1/$2) and the preflop raise average was $8 or $10. But that's not happening.

If you are going to play the NL$200 game, try to get in when they start a new table, or join a table where all the stacks are not dominating. A new $200 stack against a bunch of guys sitting there with $800 or $1,000 is dead money.

The 3/6 game I sat in was loose and had a very good mix of readable players. Only one guy gave me trouble, and unfortunately he was directly to my left (black old guy named Mitch). Furthermore, the rake is pretty steep -- as much as $6 is taken on every pot. I played for only like 3 hours and lost $45.

Trump's poker room is very nice, although they need to wash their chips for sure as they were gross and sticky.

Let us know how you do.