View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: VP$IP and PFR%

wow that's tight... What do you play? only A2xx suited and A3xxsuited?

Figure this, odds of having (math could be wrong, but I think it's ok)
A2xx = 7.25%
A3xx = 7.25% (with the A suited to something, 5.43%)
234x = 0.58%
235x = 0.58%

this alone puts you aroung 15.5% (and these hands can be played in almost any position depending on the preflop aggression of the table). Add in the probabilities of getting things like AAxx double suited, and AKQJ (late position only holding) and a few others and you should reasonably be seeing 17-19% of the flops outside the blinds. (reminiscent of holdem VPIP ain't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Remember though that is *passive* low limit game you can limp a bit more. The profit in omaha hilo is mainly in your preflop starting hand requirements, and in your ability to correctly decide which hands to continue with on the flop. Being a little loose preflop, while having great flop play will not really affect your winrate.

As far as PFR. The two reasons to raise preflop are to limit the field, or build a pot. Raising in early position in a low limit game doesn't limit the field enough to make it worthwhile most of the time. I tend to only raise preflop in late position to build a pot (odds are a late position raise will only succeed in getting everyone to call). For instance I'll raise on the button/CO with just about any A2xx if there are 5+ limpers ahead of me. Even if I end up getting quartered, a raise here is +EV. So your PFR being around 1-2% is reasonable.