View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM

Default AKos and small stakes

I play most of my poker on PartyPoker, and have been playing "educated" poker for about 1.5 years. I have read many books on the subject, and am have been reading 2+2 for about 6 months. I have read and re-read Sklansky, Malmouth and Miller's "Small Stakes Hold'em", and feel I have a very good grasp on their ideas. I have been playing with this as a guideline for about 6 months. I want to put out the statistics that are directly from my PokerTracker for $2/4 limit hold 'em.
4318 hands played

35 AKos, I was in a blind 13 of the 35.

I pre flop raised 88.57% of the time (due to following stats I have backed off raising from blinds)

I have flopped an A or K 13 of the 35 hands.

Of those 13, I turned out to have run into a set one time, and 6 other times I was outdrawn by long shots on the turn or river. I had 6 wins, 3 of which were on the flop, with a pot of $7 or less.

My overall win % is 28.57% and a net loss of $233.92.

I re-ran all the hands on my on PokerTracker. If I was in a hand without flopping an A or K, I was getting very good odds with overcards, and often some kind of backdoor flush or str8 draw. I also ran my loosing hands. On average I was a 73% favorite on either the flop or turn on the 7 losses.

My question is: Is this a REALLY bad short term run, just bad, or is this common to see.

If it is anything besides the first, SHould AK really be a pre flop raising hand in small stakes? Against 3 opponents or more, even if you don't hit an A or K, you will generally be around for the turn. And if hitting the hand leaves you that seceptable to re-draws, how can you protect it?