View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: My book library/ratings, and what\'s recommended I buy next.

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that you pick up Lee Jones's Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLH). It was pretty much considered the bible for low limit HE for years until Ed Miller's new Small Stakes Hold'em came out. Jones provides a great foundation for some of the basic concepts of solid, winning play. Basically, since you've read the other books already, it probably won't teach you any new tricks, but it will help you to sew up any major holes you have in your game right now. I've heard that people like Miller's new book a lot more, but I've also read some posters' suggestions that you start with WWLH or Hilger's ITH before you tackle some of the advanced concepts that Miller discusses. I haven't read Miller's book just yet, but I just ordered and plan on cracking it next week.

Good luck with the reading,

ts-

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to an extent. The problem with WLLH is if you internalize too much, then later you might have a hard time breaking out of the Tight-Weak box that Lee puts you in. Lee's intentions are good, as most new players start out as either Loose-Passive or Loose-Aggressive, and I think driving the TIGHT point home is very important. Personally, I think ITH is a more nuanced (but, by definition, slightly more complex) "Intro" book. Read both if you have time (WLLH takes about 20 minutes it seems...), but I think the general consensus is ITH.

The Clarkmeister progression also seems like it makies a lot of sense. He recomends WLLH, but as I said, it and ITH are reasonably interchangeable.

I would NOT jump right into SSH, as it can turn you into a raving LAG if you don't have the basics down.

On a side note, if you are wondering how to get the most out of your readings, I asked the same questions and got some good answers.

Hope this helps.