View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Default finished erick lindgren book

i just finished the new erick lindgren book (for the interest of my fellow canadians, i bought it at world's biggest bookstore in toronto)

pretty small book but packed with useful info. no explaining the basic rules or anything, and it actually starts with good stuff at page 1 (so that makes up for the pretty small page count, especially with some fluff at the end).

some very good stuff. and seems to play quite a bit differently than i do. so i have to figure out what i can pick up from him. as is my general point, i have to figure out how to adapt it to the types of games we play. most of us play SNG and small tournaments whereas he's pretty much describing large tournaments.

erick does an excellent job describing his frequent smaller raise-type play. he absolutely loves position. and he thinks post-flop play is absolutely crucial.

best part is that erick tells what is absolutely awful play and some of somewhat surprised me.

he says if you raise AKo preflop, miss the flop, then check and erick has position, he will destroy you.

he likes to represent aces alot on the flop. i.e. raise the suited connectors with position pre-flop and then represent the flopped ace when it comes back to him (my comment: two many people play any ace at lower levels).

also, doesn't agree that you have to be overwhelmingly careful with your chips at the start. (contra to that argument about how a chip lost = more value than chip gained, and i never agreed with that theory either)

anyhow, i won't give away the whole book but it seems like a great addition to anyone's poker library. very good complement to harrington 1/2 as the style is different, not too much math (don't get me wrong, i love math) and erick gets pretty specific about medium stack play and about what NOT to do (and not always obvious points).

too bad i didn't have the willpower to wait and buy this book online. oh well!!!

lastly, if anyone has the book, i didn't understand page 51 where eric is going to trap or reraise someone who barely ever raises when erick plays alot of cards (won't most opponents just jump all over that... i think erick/ivey/negreanu take advantage of players' fear of death.

all responses appreciated!!