Thread: Bush's Legacy
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Bush\'s Legacy

[ QUOTE ]
I can imagine future political candidates promoting true fiscal conservatism, much in the tradition of Reagan, not Schrub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reagan did not really carry out rentrenchment. In fact, nobody has ever really successfully done this from either party. So I think its a less about the ideology of a future GOP candidate and a lot more about whether Bush's fiscal policies will produce a situation so dire that retrenchment is the only option.

[ QUOTE ]
In short, I don't think the US is in a good way as far as the rest of the world is concerned. It may not have begun with Bush, he may have inherited it from as far back as Reagan, but I don't think his handling of his office has left the optimal amount of strategies open for future Presidents. I see things being much worse before they get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are spot-on with this point. Future presidents may have different ideas about foreign policy, but Bush 43 has really shifted the terms of the debate about foreign policy among the US populace and the way in which other countries view America and American involvement abroad. That's going to narrow the options available in the future to presidents of either party.