View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: putting in a new CPU fan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

Attaching a CPU fan requires at least a couple things: a sense for how much force can be applied; knowing what can and can't be touched on either component surface, awareness of static electricity, and normally a thermal compound.

Unless you have substitute experience and considering the critical nature of cooling (and CPU/mboard cost) I think you should let an experienced friend or the like do it for you. Computer stores will sometimes/often install the fan for you if you're purchasing it and the CPU from them.

After all that, I'll tell you how to do it but you're totally on your own...

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Jebus, it's not like it's rocket science!

You can easily attach a new fan, just use a good sense. Touch something grounded first, a radiator, sink, whatever. Open the case, detach the current fan, avoid touching the various other components. Get the new fan, and attach as the manual says. Most fans are attached simply by clipping it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't "rocket science"?? wtf - can't it just be an easily damaged/destroyed $300+ CPU/mboard by a guy that admits to not so much as having added a serial port before?

Cleaning old grease off a CPU (if that's what's going on here) isn't like cleaning your windshield where it doesn't matter if you don't get every speck of dirt off. Changing a fan with the motherboard already mounted isn't an easy thing do even for someone with experience.

And IMO it's idiotic to "simply clip it on". Thermal grease isn't just for conductivity - it's primarily because there are imperfections in the heat sink mating that in relative terms are Grand Canyons to the die, meaning 'acres' of CPU surface aren't even in contact with the heat sink! [censored], leaving an oily fingerprint behind because one didn't know better could be enough to fry the CPU.

He asked a simple question; I gave a simple answer. I stand by it. If you dislike my opinion so much that you need to quote it then tough [censored]. It's an easy job for anyone that's done it before (or understands what they're dealing with) - but as a first introduction to tinkering with a computer, experimenting with $300+ of computer parts and having no real way of knowing if you did it right before you fry it is pretty dumb...

Mike