View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I want to become a wine snob.

Taste as much as you can. Read as much as you can. There are a million sources out there. In my mind, everybody is on a learning curve somewhere. I put myself pretty low on the curve. But the nice thing is that you can enjoy wine regardless of your knowledge, and more knowledge will simply increase your enjoyment.

I have had no formal classes or training in wine, but wish I did. I have learned a lot by going to wineries and tasting and also trying to ask questions and get recommendations from informed people. Depends where you live too. It is a lot easier to learn quickly if you live in in san francisco than where I live. But you can still find places with wine tastings and you can travel. Also, at least my state allows direct shipments of wine. This can be a benefit if you live in a state that allows it or will allow it after the Supreme Court decision. If you find a good wine store and/or wineries you like, getting stuff shipped is a good way to go.

Wine spectator is also advertising their online course. I don't know if this is any good. The more I learn, the more wary I am of some of the pronouncements in that magazine, but the course might be good. And they did recently rate some wines highly that I have been buying direct after being introduced to them by a good sommelier at a wine store.