View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: My Reason and Phillips Poll

[ QUOTE ]
schmuckiness inherent to the banning and moderation practices around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that I invented it or anything....but I had posted several times that we should make a few reliable posters mods around here.
I have seen it work on other forums where the troll-factor was significant.

We had the jesus-freak guy everywhere....along with other various spam and it was only getting worse.
But I had made the suggestion a few times almost 2 years ago.

So I was happy when some of the long-time posters around here were actually made mods.

However, when I made the suggestion that 2+2 should try that out...I also specifically stated something to the effect that "Mat can also monitor these mods. So there's no need to worry about a specific mod getting out of hand. The mods would just take care of the most outrageous and obvious stuff, and send the borderline stuff to Mat.
Additionally, if a specific mod got out of hand then Mat (or whoever) could simply have a chat with them or could flat-out take their moderating privileges away.
It's not like being made a 'mod' has to be a lifetime thing. There shouldn't be any risk of the new mods somehow 'abusing' their power."

I think Mat and Mason need to consider the possibility that the moderation (and the tone of that moderation) in some of the forums is a bit over the line.

If there are a lot of people critisizing the moderation...and some of those people are long-time respected posters (not just a bunch of borderline-trolls with nothing better to do than rip on mods) then shouldn't their opinion that some matters aren't being handled very well at least be considered?