View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Default The min buy-in regular

I don't know if this is just a Chicago thing or what, because I don't remember seeing it so frequently when I played out in Vegas a couple of months back, but a lot of folks at my cardroom have a habit of buying in for an amount that is woefully inadequate for the game that they're playing in. If this comes from some newbie that has migrated up from the blackjack tables or what have you, obviously I don't mind it so much, and am happy to have whatever money they want to bring into the game.

What's weird, though, is there is a certain contingent of folks who favor a small buy-in but are regulars who are there every time that I go to the cardroom. I have seen these folks bust out and leave the table. I have also seen them bust out and pull out a wad of $100s from their pocket and rebuy, sometimes after playing for quite a while with a stack that will force them all-in with any sort of significant pot.

What's up with this? Is this a telltale sign of a gambling addict? Is it some sort of angle-shoot, since it can be an advantage to play shortstacked?