Thread: K9s in BB
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM

Default The pre-Flop raise is closer than some seem to think

Hi StuR,

I disagree with the others. I think it is close between knuckling and raising pre-Flop. Just to give you an idea of how close it is, I would definitely raise KTs from the BB in this spot, and I would definitely raise K9s if I had the Button in this spot. With 1 or 2 more limpers, I would also definitely raise K9s from the BB.

This Flop completely whiffed ya man. It looks like it sort of hit you, but it really didn't. You have bottom pair, which obviously isn't gonna be good, so you're looking at your draws. Hitting a King will give anyone with a Ten a straight, so that's no good. Hitting a Ten will give you your gutshot, but you'll also have to split the pot with anyone else who has a King. So that's a marginal draw. Hitting either 9 will give you a strong hand, but with how co-ordinated the board is already, you will be susceptible to many redraws on the River. About the only thing I like about your hand is the backdoor Flush draw.

You will also get raised many times that you bet this Flop. You have a weak draw, and if you can see the Turn for 1 bet, it's probably barely worth it. Check and call.

On the Turn, you picked up more outs, but does that mean you should bet again? I don't think so. You have no chance of taking it down and the bet won't be for value. What are you hoping to accomplish by betting?

The River is good obviously. I wouldn't be surprised if he had KT and you were drawing to the backdoor Flush on the Flop. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Again, it's important to look at this Flop and think about what you really have going on. You've got some high cards, and there are some high cards out there. You've got a backdoor Flush draw and a pair. It sounds like a nice hand. It really ain't THAT great, and you don't want to get raised if you bet (and you will get raised often with this Flop).

-Brian