View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Getting beat by sets

[ QUOTE ]
For example lets say you have Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raise it 3X big blind

And the flop is

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You are first to act and make a pot sized bet and get it heads up.

Turn card is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You make another pot size bet and are called.

River is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

You check and other player goes all in.

Is this a definite fold? To many times I call and then I get to see all those chips slide across the table to someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you putting the guy on when he goes all in? Outside an absolutely bluff the only thing you can beat would be someone with maybe a starting hand of A-J.. the other probable hands of calling your 3xBB is a pocket pair probably moderate size or better. If I had to bet in the above hand the guy had pocket Jacks giving him the second best hand possible.

But more importantly is your rational for calling here, someone holding a 5 beats you, or 3 different pocket pairs. I am thinking you believe the person is bluffing and you just have to give someone credit for a legitimate hand unless they are a completely wild player.