View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 12:10 AM

Default \"If you can fold top pair after the flop\"

I cringe everytime I read this line. The idea that this is why experts make money and can play more hands than regular players is risible.

If you call a raise in a multiway pot with Q6s in the BB, which is of course correct, you have to be willing to put more money in the pot when a Q comes as the top card on board. The idea that you can get away from this hand without doing so is absurd, and would entail often playing top pair like you're holding poison, folding way too much in big pots when you have a semblance of a hand.

I have read this line, I think, in just about every poker book I have ever read. This way of thinking screwed me out of a lot of money before I realized it was some sort of joke perpetrated by the poker authorities who knew the line would be overstated by studious, yet overly devoted readers.

I do not in any way mean to say that folding top pair is not sometimes correct. Clearly, it is. But the idea that being able to cut ties with top pair is some sort of huge advantage for good players is dumb.

-Michael