View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Some HU blind struggle situations

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The big problem with not betting is the uncertainty you will face when he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

skp - I love your posts and think you play goot. but what about the uncertainty you face when he calls? or raises, if you bet.

I think you have hands with showdown power in all three, and the only hand with minimial outs if behind is the 77. so for that reason I think I would check and call the two A highs and hope to pick off a bluf or improve because i doubt you get a better hand to fold in a HU blind situation and I'm currently feeling like I'm not getting to showdown enough in these situations.

the 77 hand is tougher cause you may have a value bet and you have no outs. problem is I dont know what to do if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think these situations when you are out of position heads up with no pair on the turn are by far the toughest in hold em, especially after you have raised preflop. As SKP said, the problem with not betting is the uncertainty when bets. I think so many guys, (especially in the Party 15) game will just about auto call the flop with position in most of these spots. So I think the problem with checking is that they will bet a worse hand behind on the turn a lot of the time. Not that that's all that bad, but it does face you to play a sort of guessing game as to whether or not you are ahead or behind and if you should show your hand down. So while I agree you will probably just about never get a better hand to fold in these situations, I think you will be betting the best hand at least a decent chunk of the time, and will prevent giving a free card. I think a lot of players are probably calling all three of these flops with hands that missed pretty well, just to see what develops on the turn.

So I guess the question is, is check calling better than betting and folding to a raise? I think it's clearly not inthe 77 hand, but I think the other two are a lot closer. Without any player information, and ideas about how often the player in position will bet a worse hand when checked to, I think these are all pretty uncomfortable spots to be in on the turn. Also, without any player info, how big of a mistake could checking and folding be, particularly in the A9 hand?