View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: I\'d rather have a losing session than this? (probably not)

Over in the HU Shorthanded forum, loosing streaks get talked about a lot. There is a fellow over there who is a 2.5/100 winner over 150kish hands (maybe more). He has had a 300 and 380BB loosing streak in his run. It gets hard sometimes to know whether the problem lies with oneself or short term luck. It is very important to have a good idea about why you are losing. The above example shows though that even very good players can have extended losing streaks.

One thing I cannot reccomend highly enough if you don't already have it is pokertracker. This is a very useful tool on two fronts:
1. It lets you look at your vital playing statistics like how often you voluntarily put money into the pot, what your aggression level is, how often you win at showdown, etc. It is great for finding leaks in your game.

2. It gives you a good line on your opponents. Even at the higher limits (on Party) the pool of opponents is so large that you are often sitting down with a table full of players you have never seen before. However, it is very very helpful if you have a line on even one or two of your opponents. This is useful for game selection as well as how you play hands. If you multi-table, it is almost impossible to get good notes on players. Maniacs stand out, but, at least for me, the others just sort of blur together.

Oh, another thing you may want to do if you are on a losing streak and it is bothering you is just to play one table for a while. You will increase your EV / 100 and you will decrease variability.

Again, if you play poker you will have losing streaks. Learning to deal with them is very important.