View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Some things are true whether you believe them or not!

for me personally, no limit is much, much lower variance.

yes, it is conterintuitive, but here's why:
those insane bad-beat hands will, certainly, without question, cost you your stack. i've lost with quads twice now (never to a S/F however, but i'm working on it) and it hurts. remember these are once in a lifetime beats, i'm SURE you've lost your buyin a time or two playing limit, but it was in a lot of little pots, not one, big, glorious, trainwreck.

*however*

your skill advantage over other players is much, much larger at NL, which means you can play a much, much smaller buyin game and make the same. I would have to play (well) in a 15/30 limit game to take what i take from 50NL. my bankroll is now at about 800 (i cashed out recently to buy a $1400 projector) which is 16 buyins, which i'm comfortable with. no freakin way i'm playing 15/30 with less than 30 big bets in the tiller.

yeah, you might call it apples and oranges. and you can be darn sure that a 10 dollar blind limit game hs much less variance than a 10 dollar blind NL game, but if you're talking equivalent stakes, bankrolls, etc. a NL cash game is lower variance (for the astute player) than a cash limit game.

fim