View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Why is Andy Fox a mench?

"Why tormented? According to the typical Christian belief system, it's ultimately Andy's responsibility to do what needs to be done in order to be saved. Felson can offer advice and encouragement, but it's not his fault if Andy doesn't take it.

If a friend of mine had a gambling problem that was destroying his life, I'd do what I could to save him; but if it turned out he couldn't be saved, I'd feel sadness, not torment."

Bad analogy. Because it is clear cut that that he should change.

"OK, how about this: I don't think Andy is going to go to hell when he dies, I think he's just going to cease to exist. It's kind of a bummer, but there's nothing I can do about it"

Bad analogy. Because ceasing to exist is not nearly as bad as going to hell. Plus you admit there is nothing you can do about it. Felson thinks there is, but can't figure out how to persuade Andy. Thus he should be more upset with Andy's fate than you.

Of course Felson's alternative is to realize that even in the unlikely event that a precisely defined god created the universe, and even in the more unlikely event that he intercedes in it nowadays, and even in the still yet more unlikely event that he pays great attention to human beings on one of the quadrillions of planets, it is ridiculous to believe that he greatly rewards the 10% of the worlds's population that believes a specific story no matter how "un nice" they are while horrifyingly punishing the most wonderful people who are either sceptical or are pious about somewhat different religions but still believe in him.